BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sabtu, 27 November 2010

Simple Present Tense

The Simple Present is used:
• to express habits, general truths, repeated actions or unchanging situations, emotions and wishes:
I smoke (habit); I work in London (unchanging situation); London is a large city (general truth)

• to give instructions or directions:
You walk for two hundred meters, then you turn left.
• to express fixed arrangements, present or future:
Your exam starts at 09.00.
Habitual actions:
Ex: - Yohanes get up at 5 o’clock every morning.
- I always do my homework after dinner.
General truth:
Ex:- A week has 7 days.
- Water boils at 100 celcius degree.
Repeated actions:
Ex :- We visit ourgrandma in Jakarta twite a year.
- I go to school everyday.

1. Verbs ending in –y: the third person changes the –y to –ies : fly → flies, cry → cries
Exception: if there is a vowel before the –y : play → plays, pray → prays.
2. Add –es to verbs ending in: -ss, -x, -sh, -ch : he passes, she catches, he fixes, it pushes.
Adverb of Time:
 Always
 Never
 Every
 Often
 Seldom
 Usually
 Sometimes
The Pattern:
Verbal
(+) S + V1 (-s/-es) + O.
(-) S + do/does + Not + V1 + O.
(?) Do/does + S + V1 ?
Ex:
(+) We seldom ru away.
(-) We do not seldom run away.
(?) Do we seldom run away?
Non Verbal
(+) S + Tobe + N/Adj/Adv.
(-) S + Tobe + Not + N/Adj/Adv.
(?) Tobe + S + N/Adj/Adv ?
Ex:
(+) I am a student.
(-) I am not a student.
(?) Am I a student?

0 komentar: