BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Minggu, 13 Februari 2011

Gratitude, Compliment and Congratulation




Gratitude is an expression that we show or say to express grateful feeling to other people. When speaking English, you say “thanks” very often. Please say “thank you” when people give you something, help you do something, wish you something and give you a compliment etc.

Expressing gratitude:
·         Thank you.
·         Thanks.
·         Thank you very much.
·         Many thanks.
·         Thanks a lot.
·         I thank you.
·         I’m very much obliged to you.
·         Thank you for your kindness.
·         Thank for everything.
·         Thank for your help.
·         How can I thank you?
·         I’m very grateful to you.

Responding:
·         You’re welcome.
·         No big deal.
·         Don’t mention it.
·         It’s a pleasure..
·         That’s all right.
·         Any time.
·         It was the least I could do.
Example:
Evan : Hi, Nova, are you busy tonight?
Nova : No. Why?
Evan : Well, I’m giving a farewell party for Tom. Can you come?
Nova : Yes, I’d love to. What time is it going to be?
Evan : At seven o’clock tonight.
Nova : all right. I won’t miss it. Thank you.

Compliment  is an expression that we show or say to express/give praise. Some people use compliments to “butter up” somebody or to flatter in order to increase good will.

You compliment some one, for example:
·         On his/her general appearance.
·         If you notice something new about the person’s appearance.
·         When you visit someone’s house for the first time.
·         House for the first time.
·         When other people do their best.

Expressing:
·         What a nice dress.
·         You look great.
·         You look very nice.
·         Good grades.
·         Excellent.
·         Nice work.
Example:
Vika : Wow, that’s really awesome! I’m sure you’ll be a great pianist someday.
Dion : Thank you.
Vika : How long have you practiced?
Dion : Well, I have practiced since I was seven years old.

Congratulation  is an expression that we use to give the congratulation utterance when he/she succeeds in doing something.
Kind of Congratulatios are:
·         Congratulations!
·         Happy Anniversary!
·         Happy Valentine!
·         Happy Birthday!
·         Happy New Year!
·         Happy Lebaran Day!
·         Merry Christmas!
·         Happy Waisak Day!
·         Happy Nyepi Day!
·         Congratulations on your Graduation!

Giving the Congratulation:
·         Let me congratulate you.
·         Good job. Congratulation!
·         That’s great!
·         How fortunate.

Responding:
·         Thank you.
·         Thank, I needed that.
·         That’s very kind of you.

Example:
Yoga : Congratulationon your new job.
Amel : Thank you very much.
Yoga : I hope you are happy with it.
Amel : I’m really happy. Please pray for me.
Yoga : Sure. May God bless you.

0 komentar: